Tuesday 31 March 2020

BE GOING TO + INFINITIVE

9º / FUTURE

We can express the future with BE GOING TO + infinitive. 

Here are some examples to make sure this is clear:
  • I’m going to see a play tonight. 
  • It's late so I don't think he's going to do his work tonight.
  • Look at those clouds. It's going to rain soon.
  • My favourite team is going to play tomorrow evening.
To form questions, we invert the subject (e.g, I, you) and "is/am/are." If we use a wh- question word, we insert it at the beginning of the sentence:
  • Who is going to read the next paragraph?
  • Are you going to speak at the conference?
  • What is she going to cook for dinner?
  • Are they going to sleep all day?
  • Where is your brother going to sleep when he visits you?

The structure BE GOING TO is normally used to indicate the future but with some type of connection to the present. 
We use it in the following situations:
1. When we intend / plan to do something in the future. 
The decision has been made before the moment of speaking.
  • They're going to retire to the beach - in fact they have already bought a little beach house.
  • I'm going to accept the job offer.
  • Next week I'm going to start a new diet.
  • Are you going to come to my party tomorrow?
2. When there are definite signs that something is going to happen. 
Something is likely to happen based on the evidence or experience you have.
  • I think it is going to rain - I just felt a drop!
  • I don't feel well! I think I'm going to throw up  (= vomit).
  • I got a D on my exam. My parents are going to kill me!
3. When something is about to happen:
  • Get back! The bomb is going to explode.
  • Look out! That car is going to overtake.

Note: We can also use the Present Continuous  to talk about planned future arrangements. They are very close in meaning  so it's possible to use either form:
  • Are you attending the lecture this afternoon?  (Present Continuous)
  • Are you going to attend the lecture this afternoon?  (BE GOING TO)

Note: You can say "I'm going to school in London next year" with a future meaning, just as any sentence in the Present Continuous can have a future meaning.

There is no significant difference between this and "I'm going to go to school in London next year".

I'm going to go out! (it is correct, but it sounds awkward or inelegant!)
I'm going out! (it sounds better!)


Note: BE ABOUT TO + infinitive refers to things that we expect to happen very soon. We often use it with just, for emphasis:

Hurry up! The ceremony is about to begin!
The ferry is about to leave.
The driver is about to collect them. Shall I phone to stop him?
We’re just about to set off for a walk. Do you want to come?



No comments: